You can get support and care from the British Red Cross to help you live independently at home or when you return after a stay in hospital.
The First Call service is there for you should you need some extra support. This may be following a stay in hospital, recovering from an illness or if you are feeling alone and isolated. The service will support you through a difficult time in your life by listening with compassion and understanding. They can help you to plan for the future, engage with your local community and if needs be refer you to further support services. There is no charge for this service.
The support they offer varies by area. In some places, they can offer practical and emotional support including:
- transport home from hospital
- door-to-door transport for essential health-care journeys
- help with everyday tasks (for example, picking up prescriptions and shopping)
- rebuilding confidence
- help arranging for bills to be paid
- short-term use of a wheelchair and toilet aids.
Their volunteers receive full training to support you in meeting your goals.
To make a referral please call: 0345 054 7171