Mental Health Services Complaints

If you’re unhappy about your treatment for a mental health problem, you may be able to make a complaint.
Volunteer speaking with small child

This applies whether you’ve given consent to be treated or whether you’ve been admitted to hospital for treatment without your consent under the Mental Health Act (that is, you’re a detained, or sectioned patient). In these pages, we tell you more about complaints about mental health services and we also explain how you can challenge a decision to detain you. 

This content applies to England


Detained (sectioned) patients

Explains what happens when a mental health patient is detained in hospital under the Mental Health Act 1983 and the right to complain if you are not happy with the services received.

Appealing against detention in hospital

Explains how to appeal if you think you should not have been detained in hospital under the Mental Health Act 1983. Covers asking for a manager's review and applying to the First-tier Tribunal.

Patients accessing services voluntarily

Explains what is meant by an informal mental health patient, why you might want to complain about the mental health services you have received, who is accountable for services and the options available for making a complaint.

Looking for information about health and care?

Find advice and information to help you stay well and make decisions about your health and social care support.

Find advice and information