Complaints advocacy

Information about complaints advocacy and other advocacy services from VoiceAbility in Northamptonshire
Woman with children sitting on a bench

NHS complaints advocacy services

Every area of England has an independent NHS complaints advocacy service funded by the local authority. They can help you make a complaint about the NHS and have replaced the ICAS service. This service is open to everybody and is free of charge. Advocacy providers can help you with writing letters and preparing for meetings. They can also arrange for an advocate to attend a meeting with you. An advocate will not try to persuade you to take any particular course of action and will always respect your decisions. If you have a severe learning disability or a mental health condition, you may find it useful to have an independent advocate speak on your behalf.

The service is provided by VoiceAbility in Northamptonshire.

VoiceAbility - NHS Complaints Advocacy Service

Tel: 0300 303 1660 (Mon - Fri 9am to 5pm)


Unit F17, Moulton Park Business Centre
Redhouse Road
Moulton Park

Further information at:

Other advocacy

VoiceAbility Northamptonshire also provides the following independent advocacy services for people aged over 18 in Northamptonshire:

Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA)

We support people who have been detained under certain sections of the Mental Health Act, or are on a Community Treatment Order. We help them understand their rights and support them to challenge their treatment if they feel it is not appropriate for them.

Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy (IMCA)

We work with people who have been assessed as lacking capacity and who do not have family or friends who are appropriate to speak up for them. This work is always about decisions around serious medical treatment or changes in long term accommodation. An IMCA can also support where there are concerns regarding Safeguarding or care reviews.

Relevant Person's Representative (RPR)

When a ‘Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards’ (DoLS) authorisation is in place and there is no suitable RPR, an advocate can take on the role of RPR.

Care Act advocacy

Independent Care Act advocates support people to understand their rights under the Care Act and to be fully involved in decisions about any care and support they need. This includes local authority assessments, care reviews, care and support planning and safeguarding processes.

Who can access our services?

We offer free, independent and confidential support to people aged over 18.

We can also support any young person under the age of 18 accessing adult mental health services.

The service is available to support carers and disabled people. This includes but is not restricted to:

  • people with mental health problems
  • people with learning disabilities
  • people with physical and/or sensory impairments
  • people who become infirm due to old age
  • carers

To be eligible, individuals must ordinarily be resident in Northamptonshire and/or be registered with a GP practice in Northamptonshire.

To find out more or to request a service, in confidence, please contact:

Tel: 0300 303 1660 (Mon - Fri 9am to 5pm)


Looking for information about health and care?

Find advice and information to help you stay well and make decisions about your health and social care support.

Find advice and information